Darren Walker has served since 2013 as President of the Ford Foundation, a $16 billion international social justice philanthropic organization.
Mr. Walker was previously Vice President for Education, Creativity and Free Expression at the Ford Foundation, from 2010 to 2013. Prior to the Ford Foundation, Mr. Walker joined the Rockefeller Foundation, a philanthropic organization, in 2002 and served as a Vice President responsible for foundation initiatives from 2005 to 2010. From 1995 to 2002, he was the Chief Operating Officer of Abyssinian Development Corporation, a community development organization in Harlem in New York City. Prior to that, Mr. Walker held various positions in finance and banking at UBS AG.
Board and Advisor Roles
Mr. Walker currently serves on the boards of:
- Ralph Lauren Corporation, a global premium lifestyle products company.
- Square, Inc., a provider of payment processing services.
Mr. Walker has been included on numerous leadership lists:
- Time’s annual 100 Most Influential People.
- Rolling Stone’s 25 People Shaping the Future.
- Fast Company’s Most Creative People in Business.
- Ebony’s Power 100.
- Out magazine’s Power 50.
- Most recently, Mr. Walker was named Wall Street Journal’s 2020 Philanthropy Innovator.
Philanthropy, Community Service and Memberships
Mr. Walker also serves on the boards of several non-profit organizations, including the National Gallery of Art, Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts, Friends of the High Line and Carnegie Hall. He also currently chairs the U.S. Impact Investing Alliance Advisory Board and is a member of the Council on Foreign Relations and the American Academy of Arts and Sciences.
Mr. Walker received BA, BS, and JD degrees from the University of Texas at Austin.