Janice Bryant Howroyd is the founder and CEO of Act One Personnel Services, a company that provides staffing solutions for corporations in 19 countries, with over 17,000 clients and more than 2,800 employees. Founded in 1978 with an initial investment of $1,500, a telephone and a small lease space, her company is now the largest certified woman minority-owned staffing company in the United States. She's the first Black woman to own a billion-dollar company, with $1.4 billion in revenue in 2010. Motivated by the supportive environments of her own youth; Ms. Bryant Howroyd firmly believes that people perform best when their personal strengths are developed and challenged.
Board and Advisor Roles
Ms. Bryant Howroyd currently serves as a board member of the U.S. Department of Labor's Workforce Initiative Board, LA Economic Development Corporation, Women's Leadership Board's Committee of the Women and Public Policy Program of the John F. Kennedy School of Government (Harvard University), Academy of Business Leadership, Loyola Marymount University's Board of Regents, Los Angeles Urban League, Women in Film and other organizations.
Ms. Bryant Howroyd's vision has been continuously recognized with business and community awards.
- Spirit of American Enterprise Presidential Award, Inaugural Ball
- Excellence in Media Award, CA-NOW
- Supplier of the Year, Coors
- Business Person of the Year, National Minority Supplier Development Council
- Honorary Doctorate of Humanities, North Carolina A&T State University
- Featured as one of 50 Most Inspiring African Americans, Essence Magazine
- Number 1 Woman Owned Business, Los Angeles Business Journal
- National Minority Supplier of the Year, Georgia Chapter, NMSDC
- Woman Business Owner of the Year, National Association of Women Business Owners
Philanthropy, Community Service and Memberships
Mrs. Howroyd gives generously through funding and advocacy for STEM education, particularly for women and minorities.
Ms. Bryant Howroyd holds an English degree from North Carolina A&T State University; Master's degree from University of Maryland; PhD from North Carolina State University.