Mary A. Winston, is the Co-Founder and President, WinsCo Enterprises, a consulting firm providing financial, strategic and board advisory services.
She is a seasoned executive with significant governance expertise across a broad range of industries, having served on large public company boards and audit committees for many years.
Ms. Winston has a strong background in all aspects of finance and accounting, as well as experience in M&A, corporate strategy, cost restructuring programs, corporate governance, and investor relations.
Personal Attributes and Interests
- Ms. Winston, her husband and two children reside in Charlotte, N.C.
Ms. Winston has served as Interim Chief Executive Officer (CEO), Bed Bath & Beyond Inc., Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer at Family Dollar Stores Inc., Senior Vice President and Chief Financial Officer at Giant Eagle, Inc., Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer at Scholastic Corporation, Vice President and Controller of Visteon Corporation and Vice President, Global Financial Operations at Pfizer Inc. in the Pharmaceuticals Group. She started her career as a CPA and auditor at Arthur Andersen & Co. She currently serves as Co-Founder and President of WinsCo Enterprises Inc.
Board and Advisor Roles
Has served on corporate boards, including every major board committee, for many years. As an independent director and SEC financial expert, she brings broad financial, strategic, and corp governance experience to the boards she serves on. Currently serves on four large public boards:
- Dover Corp, since 2005, Fortune 300 diversified industrial manufacturer, where she chaired the Audit committee for 10 years and now serves on Finance and Compensation committees;
- Domtar Corporation, since 2015, manufacturer of paper, pulp and personal care products, where she serves on the Audit and Finance committees;
- Acuity Brands Inc, since 2017 leading provider of lighting systems/technology, where she serves on the Compensation and Governance committees, and
- Bed Bath & Beyond Inc, since 2019, Fortune 300 home products retailer; Transformation & Strategy Committee member.
Ms. Winston also serves as Chair of the Board of NACD Carolinas and is a member of the NACD a national audit committee advisory council.
- Corporate Directors to Watch 2017 from Directors & Boards Magazine.
- Most Powerful Corp Directors 2016 Savoy Magazine.
- Black Enterprise Magazine 50 Most Powerful Women in Business 2015, 2010, 2006.
- One of the 100 Most Influential People in Finance by Treasury & Risk Management magazine.
Ms. Winston received a Bachelor's degree of Accounting from the University of Wisconsin, an MBA in Finance, Marketing and International Business from Northwestern University's Kellogg Graduate School, and is a CPA, as well as a NACD Board Leadership Fellow.