Born: c. 1964, London, UK;
Occupation: Businesswoman, Lawyer;
Position: Senior Vice President & Group General Counsel;
Company: World Bank;
Residence: United Kingdom;
Nationality: British, Nigerian (father), Trinidadian (mother);
Dr. Okoro Okoro is Senior Vice President and General Counsel for the World Bank Group, and Vice President for Compliance at the World Bank. She is also Chair of the World Bank Group Anti-Racism Task Force. She is the first black woman to hold this role. She is the principal advisor and spokesperson on all legal matters for the world’s leading development finance institution.
Personal Attributes and Interests
- Dr. Okoro has a son and a daughter.
- In 1997 and 1999 she ran and completed the London Marathon.
- She has said that the two people she most admires are Nelson Mandela and a family member.
- Senior Vice President and General Counsel, World Bank GroupWorld Bank Group, Feb 2017 - Present, 4 yrs 10 months.
- NED and Governor, Royal Shakespeare Company,Nov 2014 - Present, 7 yrs 1 month.
- Global General Counsel, HSBC Retail Banking and Wealth Management, Jan 2014 - Feb 2017, 3 yrs 2 months.
- Director, P.R.I.M.E Finance Foundation, Jun 2011 - Feb 2017 · 5 yrs 9 months.
- Global General Counsel, Barings, May 2007 - Jan 2014 · 6 yrs 9 months.
- Head of Legal for Corporate Services, Schroders, 1991 - 2007 · 16 yrs 1 month.
- Trainee Solicitor, Stoneham Langton and Passmore -Solicitors, 1989 - 1991 · 2 yrs 1 month.
- Mayfair, Graduate trainee, Coopers and Lybrand, 1987 - 1989 · 2 yrs 1 month.
Board and Advisor Roles
Dr. Okoro is a Governor of the Royal Shakespeare Company, and prior to joining the World Bank Group, she was a council member of the human rights organization JUSTICE, Ambassador for the Law Society’s Diversity Access Scheme and sat on the Equality Standards Panel of the Premier League.
- Dr. Okoro is an Honorary Bencher of Middle Temple in the United Kingdom (2018)
- She was named one of the Upstanding 100 Leading Ethnic Minority Executives (2016), Top 20 Global General Counsel (2019) by the Financial Times.
- She was recognized as Britain’s 5th most influential person of African and African Caribbean heritage by Powerlist (2018).
- Dr. Okoro received a lifetime achievement award from the UK Black Solicitors Network (2016), was named one of the Power 100 Women by City A.M. and 100 Women to Watch by the Female FTSE Board.
- Dr. Okoro was appointed inaugural Chair of the UK-based charity WOW-Women of the World Festivals in June 2021.
- She received the Howard University 2019 Vanguard Women Award for her accomplishments as a woman of colour who has blazed the trail and her commitment to mentoring young women and advancing the rights of women and girls globally.
- She is also the recipient of the Beyond the Glass Ceiling Award presented by the Leadership Institute for Women of Color Attorneys (2019),
- She is a recipient of the Chambers 100 Outstanding Global General Counsel (2019).
- She is an honoree of Harvard Law’s 7th Annual International Women’s Day Portrait Exhibit (2020).
Dr. Okoro holds Honorary Doctorates in Law from City University London (2014), London Southbank University (2018), and her alma mater Birmingham University (2019).
Dr. Okoro earned a degree in Law and Politics from the University of Birmingham. She also earned a Law Degree from the Inns of Court School of Law. In 2001, the Inns of Court School of Law became part of City, University of London and is now known as The City Law School. She qualified as a barrister in 1988.
Please Support Our Partners
If You Like Our Content, Please Consider Making A Small $5 Donation.
This week's selection of outstandng Black executives
Curtis "50 Cent" JacksonCreated by BlackEntrepreneurProfile.com
Born: July 6, 1975, South Jamaica, New York;
Occupation: Businessman, musician, television producer, actor;
Marian CroakCreated by BlackEntrepreneurProfile.com
Dr. Marian Rogers Croak is Vice President of Google's Research Center for Responsible AI and Human Centered Technology, which is responsible for…
Mohammed IbrahimCreated by BlackEntrepreneurProfile.com
Born: May 3, 1946, Sudan;
Position: Founder and Chairman;
Company: Satya Capital Ltd.;
Industry: Investment Funds;
Residence: United Kingdom; …
Robert L. JohnsonCreated by BlackEntrepreneurProfile.com
Date of Birth: April 8, 1946, in Hickory, Mississippi;
Education: University of Illinois, BA, 1968; Princeton University,…
Recently Added Black Executives
Mariam JimohCreated by BlackEntrepreneurProfile.com
Mariam Jimoh is the founder and CEO of Oja, a grocery delivery service that picks up & delivers produce from local ethnic grocery stores to customers.…
Danyel Surrency Jones
Danyel Surrency Jones, is the head of Amazon’s Black Business Accelerator (BBA) program, which aims to empower Black entrepreneurs with financial…
Tia SilasCreated by BlackEntrepreneurProfile.com
Tia Silas is the Chief Talent Officer of Shopify, a Canadian e-commerce company. She oversees Culture, Internal Operations, Employee Experience &…
Latest News & Articles
How to Use Visualization and a Vision Board to Boost Your Business SuccessCreated by Errol Mars
A vision board is a visual representation of your goals and desires that helps you to clarify your intentions, motivate you to take action, focus on…
Black Female Fortune 500 CEO Addresses Professional Women NationwideCreated by The Network Journal
When The Network Journal (TNJ) in 2017 asked Thasunda Brown Duckett to tell us the three most important things she would like people to know about…
Ethiopians Sue Meta for $1.6bnCreated by African.Business
Two Ethiopians have filed a lawsuit in Kenya’s High Court in Nairobi against US tech giant Meta, the owner of Facebook, for failing to prevent the…
Recently Updated Profiles
Michael Lee-ChinCreated by BlackEntrepreneurProfile.com
Born: January 3, 1951, Port Antonio, Jamaica;
Company: Portland Holdings Inc.;
Position: Founder, Executive…
LeBron JamesCreated by BlackEntrepreneurProfile.com
Born: December 30, 1984, Akron, Ohio;
Occupation: Businessman, Professional Athlete;
Company: SpringHill Company; …
Tiger WoodsCreated by BlackEntrepreneurProfile.com
Born: December 30, 1975, Cypress, California;
Occupation: Businessman, Professional Athlete;
Position: Founder, CEO;
Company: TGR Ventures; …
FTC: Black Entrepreneur & Executive Profiles is reader supported, we may earn income on affiliate links. You support us by using our links to buy products, it will cost you nothing extra.
We also a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.