Born: March 11, 1952, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania;
Position: Chairman & CEO;
Company: Epic Records;
Residence: United States;
Sylvia M. Rhone is Chairman & CEO (Since April 2019), Epic Records, a division of Sony Music Entertainment. Prior to this appointment, Rhone held the position of president at Epic since 2014.
- She also served as Chairman & CEO of Vested in Culture (VIC), her joint venture with Epic Records (30/01/2013). She previously served as President of Universal Motown Records and executive VP of Universal Records from 2004 to May 2011.
- Born in Philadelphia and raised in New York City's Harlem, Ms. Rhone became the first black woman to head a major record company, when she was appointed president/CEO of Eastwest Records in 1990.
- In late 1991, Atlantic formed a new label, Atco/EastWest, to encompass a broader range of musical artists. Atlantic later dropped Atco, and Ms. Rhone was named chairman and chief executive officer of her own label, EastWest Records America.
- In 1994, Ms. Rhone became chairman/CEO of Elektra Records which eventually became Elektra Entertainment Group, whose roster included rapper Missy Elliott, Metallica, Jet, Fabolous and Yolanda Adams. "The Elektra Entertainment Group was one of the most actualized examples of diversity in action at a company that I've ever seen," said Ms. Rhone.
Board and Advisor Roles
- Ms. Rhone is a member of the board of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
- Ms. Rhone received an honorary doctorate from the Berklee College of Music on April 5, 2019, in recognition of her career achievements as a leading female music executive who has reached the status of label head multiple times, and for her influence on the music industry through her leadership.
- She was named an Alumni Trustee of the University of Pennsylvania, and is a recipient of the Black Alumni of Pratt\'s Lifetime Achievement Award.
- Ms. Rhone is an inductee of the National Association of Black Female Executives In Music And Entertainment Hall Of Fame.
- She was awarded the Turner Broadcasting 2004 Trumpet Award, which heralds the accomplishments of distinguished African Americans around the globe in fields as diverse as law, politics, and entertainment.
- Ms. Rhone was the first woman to receive the Music Business’ Association Presidential Award for Sustained Achievement. She has also received Essence’s Black Women in Music Trailblazer Award and the 2011 Keepers of the Dream Award.
Ms. Rhone received a degree in economics from the prestigious Wharton School of Finance and Commerce at the University of Pennsylvania.
Please Support Our Partners
If You Like Our Content, Please Consider Making A Small $5 Donation.
This week's selection of outstandng Black executives
Curtis "50 Cent" JacksonCreated by BlackEntrepreneurProfile.com
Born: July 6, 1975, South Jamaica, New York;
Occupation: Businessman, musician, television producer, actor;
Marian CroakCreated by BlackEntrepreneurProfile.com
Dr. Marian Rogers Croak is Vice President of Google's Research Center for Responsible AI and Human Centered Technology, which is responsible for…
Mohammed IbrahimCreated by BlackEntrepreneurProfile.com
Born: May 3, 1946, Sudan;
Position: Founder and Chairman;
Company: Satya Capital Ltd.;
Industry: Investment Funds;
Residence: United Kingdom; …
Robert L. JohnsonCreated by BlackEntrepreneurProfile.com
Date of Birth: April 8, 1946, in Hickory, Mississippi;
Education: University of Illinois, BA, 1968; Princeton University,…
Recently Added Black Executives
Mariam JimohCreated by BlackEntrepreneurProfile.com
Mariam Jimoh is the founder and CEO of Oja, a grocery delivery service that picks up & delivers produce from local ethnic grocery stores to customers.…
Danyel Surrency Jones
Danyel Surrency Jones, is the head of Amazon’s Black Business Accelerator (BBA) program, which aims to empower Black entrepreneurs with financial…
Tia SilasCreated by BlackEntrepreneurProfile.com
Tia Silas is the Chief Talent Officer of Shopify, a Canadian e-commerce company. She oversees Culture, Internal Operations, Employee Experience &…
Latest News & Articles
How to Use Visualization and a Vision Board to Boost Your Business SuccessCreated by Errol Mars
A vision board is a visual representation of your goals and desires that helps you to clarify your intentions, motivate you to take action, focus on…
Black Female Fortune 500 CEO Addresses Professional Women NationwideCreated by The Network Journal
When The Network Journal (TNJ) in 2017 asked Thasunda Brown Duckett to tell us the three most important things she would like people to know about…
Ethiopians Sue Meta for $1.6bnCreated by African.Business
Two Ethiopians have filed a lawsuit in Kenya’s High Court in Nairobi against US tech giant Meta, the owner of Facebook, for failing to prevent the…
Recently Updated Profiles
Michael Lee-ChinCreated by BlackEntrepreneurProfile.com
Born: January 3, 1951, Port Antonio, Jamaica;
Company: Portland Holdings Inc.;
Position: Founder, Executive…
LeBron JamesCreated by BlackEntrepreneurProfile.com
Born: December 30, 1984, Akron, Ohio;
Occupation: Businessman, Professional Athlete;
Company: SpringHill Company; …
Tiger WoodsCreated by BlackEntrepreneurProfile.com
Born: December 30, 1975, Cypress, California;
Occupation: Businessman, Professional Athlete;
Position: Founder, CEO;
Company: TGR Ventures; …
FTC: Black Entrepreneur & Executive Profiles is reader supported, we may earn income on affiliate links. You support us by using our links to buy products, it will cost you nothing extra.
We also a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.