Strive Masiyiwa, is the Chairman and founder of Econet Wireless, a diversified telecommunications group with operations and investments in Africa, Europe, North America, Latin America and Asia Pacific. He is an Executive Director on the board of Econet Wireless Zimbabwe Ltd and is Chairman of Liquid Telecom Holdings, an Econet Group subsidiary.
Mr. Masiyiwa returned to his native Zimbabwe in 1984 after being away for 17 year. He briefly worked as a telecoms engineer for the state-owned telephone company, before setting up his own electrical engineering company.
Econet Wireless was created in 1993 in Zimbabwe. After a 5 court battle in order to win the right to operate, it was granted a telephony licence in 1998.
Econet Wireless is a privately owned group and is not listed on any stock exchange. It’s subsidiary, Econet Wireless Zimbabwe, is listed on the Zimbabwe Stock Exchange (ZSE) and its activities are confined only to the Zimbabwe market.
Econet subsidiaries include:
- Econet Global
- Econet Wireless International
- Econet Wireless Africa
- Econet Enterprises
- Econet Media
- the Liquid Telecom Group
Board and Advisor Roles
- Ashinaga Kenjin-Tatsujin International Advisory Council(Advisory Council Member)
- UN Commission on Education (International Commission Member)
- Unilever (Non-Executive Director)
- Africa Against Ebola Solidarity Trust (Trustee)
- Rockefeller Foundation(New York Trustee)
- Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA)(Chairman/Board Member)
- Carbon War Room (Founders Council)
- Asia Society (Trustee)
- Micronutrient Initiative (Chairman/Board Member)
- HigherLife Foundation (Founder)
- United States Holocaust Memorial Museum (USA – Member of the Committee on Conscience)
- Archbishop Desmond Tutu’s e-Health Ambassadors Programme
- Hilton Humanitarian Prize ( USA- Member of the International Jury)
- Morehouse College (Board of Trustees)
- Global Business Coalition for Education (Founder Member)
- Council on Foreign Relations (Global Advisory Board Member)
- Africa Progress Panel (Panel Member)
- Advisory Board for the Sustainable Energy for All Initiative (Advisory Board Member)
- Institute for Pan African Strategies (Board Member)
- The B Team (Inaugural Member)
- Grow Africa (Former Co-Chairman)
Mr. Masiyiwa and his wife Tsitsi founded the Higherlife Foundation, which supports and educate more than 40,000 orphaned and poor children in Zimbabwe, South Africa, Burundi and Lesotho. They are signers of the Bill Gates & Warren Buffett initiative known as the Giving Pledge. They pledged, to give not less than 50%, of the funds they receive from their family assets, through charitable donations and philanthropy. The Giving Pledge is a commitment by the world's wealthiest individuals and families to dedicate the majority of their wealth to giving back.
Mr. Masiyiwa holds a degree in Electrical Engineering from the University of Wales.