Born: July 29, 1962, Republic of Côte d'Ivoire;
Position: Executive Chairman;
Company: Freedom Acquisition I Corporation;
Industry: Financial Services;
Residence: London, UK;
Nationality: Côte d'Ivoirian;
Tidjane C. Thiam is Executive Chairman of Freedom Acquisition I Corporation, since January 2021. Freedom Acquisition Corp. 1 was established by Tidjane Thiam, Adam Gishen and Abhishek Bhatia to leverage their extensive experience in acquiring, building, operating and scaling global financial services businesses in constantly evolving environments.
Mr. Thiam, with his more than 30 years of experience in financial services businesses, led global institutions like Credit Suisse and Prudential as CEO for 5 years and 6 years, respectively.
He is the former Chief Executive Officer of Credit Suisse Group AG and Credit Suisse AG (2015 - 2020/02). He had been a member of the Executive Board of Credit Suisse Group AG and Credit Suisse AG since 2015.
Mr. Thiam resigned on February 6, 2020, after losing a boardroom battle after it emerged that two former employees had been placed under surveillance.
"I had no knowledge of the observation of two former colleagues. I regret that this happened and it should never have taken place," Mr. Thiam said in a statement.
Under his leadership, Credit Suisse implemented a three-year drive to focus on managing the assets of wealthy clients, scale back investment banking and restructure its global markets business.
Mr. Thiam is credited with taking Credit Suisse from a $3 billion loss in its 2015 financial year and returning it to profitability by 2018.
- Executive Chairman, Freedom Acquisition I Corporation, Jan 2021 - Present, 1.5 yr.
- Group Chief Executive Officer, Credit Suisse, 2015 - Feb 2020, 5 yrs.
- Partner, McKinsey & Company, 2000 - 2002, 2 yrs.
- Secretary of Development and Planning for CÃ´te d'Ivoire, Government, 1998 - 1999, 1 yr.
- Chief Executive Officer, National Bureau for Technical Studies & Development for CÃ´te d'Ivoire, 1994 - 1998, 4 yrs.
Board and Advisor Roles
- Global Board of Advisors, Council on Foreign Relations, Jan 2017 - Present, 5.5 yrs.
- Member, International Olympic Committee â€“ IOC, Part-time, Jun 2019 - Present, 3 yrs.
- Chairman of the Audit Commitee, Kering, Jun 2020 - Present, 2 yrs.
- He was a co-chair of the World Economic Forum 2016 in Davos.
- Member of the Group of Thirty (G30).
- Member of the 21st Century Fox Board of Directors.
- He was non-executive director of Arkema in France until November 2009, when he resigned from the Arkema board.
- He was a member of the Council of the Overseas Development Institute (ODI) in London.
- Sponsor of Opportunity International.
- Member of the Africa Progress Panel chaired by Kofi Annan.
- From 1994 to 1999, Mr. Thiam returned to CÃ´te d’Ivoire to serve as a Cabinet Secretary, CEO of the National Bureau for Technical Studies and Development, and represented CÃ´te d’Ivoire vis-Ã -vis the World Bank/IMF.
- In April 2020, President Cyril Ramaphosa, Chairperson of the African Union, appointed Mr. Thiam as African Union Special Envoy on Covid 19.
- He was recognized as a Global Leader for Tomorrow by the World Economic Forum in 1997 and included in the WEF’s world ‘dream cabinet’ in 1999.
- He was recognized on the ‘Time 100’ list in 2010.
- He led one of the largest and most successful emerging market privatizations and infrastructure development programs.
- MBA, INSEAD,1988.
- Advanced Mathematics and Physics, Ecole des Mines de Paris,1986.
- Graduated from Ã‰cole Polytechnique, 1984.
- Mathematics, LycÃ©e Sainte-Genev,1982.
Please Support Our Partners
If You Like Our Content, Please Consider Making A Small $5 Donation.
This week's selection of outstandng Black executives
Curtis "50 Cent" JacksonCreated by BlackEntrepreneurProfile.com
Born: July 6, 1975, South Jamaica, New York;
Occupation: Businessman, musician, television producer, actor;
Marian CroakCreated by BlackEntrepreneurProfile.com
Dr. Marian Rogers Croak is Vice President of Google's Research Center for Responsible AI and Human Centered Technology, which is responsible for…
Mohammed IbrahimCreated by BlackEntrepreneurProfile.com
Born: May 3, 1946, Sudan;
Position: Founder and Chairman;
Company: Satya Capital Ltd.;
Industry: Investment Funds;
Residence: United Kingdom; …
Robert L. JohnsonCreated by BlackEntrepreneurProfile.com
Date of Birth: April 8, 1946, in Hickory, Mississippi;
Education: University of Illinois, BA, 1968; Princeton University,…
Recently Added Black Executives
Mariam JimohCreated by BlackEntrepreneurProfile.com
Mariam Jimoh is the founder and CEO of Oja, a grocery delivery service that picks up & delivers produce from local ethnic grocery stores to customers.…
Danyel Surrency Jones
Danyel Surrency Jones, is the head of Amazon’s Black Business Accelerator (BBA) program, which aims to empower Black entrepreneurs with financial…
Tia SilasCreated by BlackEntrepreneurProfile.com
Tia Silas is the Chief Talent Officer of Shopify, a Canadian e-commerce company. She oversees Culture, Internal Operations, Employee Experience &…
Latest News & Articles
How to Use Visualization and a Vision Board to Boost Your Business SuccessCreated by Errol Mars
A vision board is a visual representation of your goals and desires that helps you to clarify your intentions, motivate you to take action, focus on…
Black Female Fortune 500 CEO Addresses Professional Women NationwideCreated by The Network Journal
When The Network Journal (TNJ) in 2017 asked Thasunda Brown Duckett to tell us the three most important things she would like people to know about…
Ethiopians Sue Meta for $1.6bnCreated by African.Business
Two Ethiopians have filed a lawsuit in Kenya’s High Court in Nairobi against US tech giant Meta, the owner of Facebook, for failing to prevent the…
Recently Updated Profiles
Michael Lee-ChinCreated by BlackEntrepreneurProfile.com
Born: January 3, 1951, Port Antonio, Jamaica;
Company: Portland Holdings Inc.;
Position: Founder, Executive…
LeBron JamesCreated by BlackEntrepreneurProfile.com
Born: December 30, 1984, Akron, Ohio;
Occupation: Businessman, Professional Athlete;
Company: SpringHill Company; …
Tiger WoodsCreated by BlackEntrepreneurProfile.com
Born: December 30, 1975, Cypress, California;
Occupation: Businessman, Professional Athlete;
Position: Founder, CEO;
Company: TGR Ventures; …
FTC: Black Entrepreneur & Executive Profiles is reader supported, we may earn income on affiliate links. You support us by using our links to buy products, it will cost you nothing extra.
We also a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.